Notepad++ new window
As you might have noticed, Notepad++ doesn’t offer the option to open a new window, and opens all files in the same one.
In order to open a new window, in which you’ll be allowed to open files / create new tabs / drag and drop opened files, simply put your cursor on the tab name of the file you want to open in a new window, click and keep the mouse button pressed, drag the mouse out of the Notepad++ window, release the mouse button – and voilà !
Open new Notepad++ window
It is now opened in a new window.
Take care, it does not allow to open unsaved files in a new window. You’ll have to save them first, or move them to a second window already opened with an existing file.
Notepad++ separate window
There is no need to install a specific plugin to open a separate window in Notepad++.
However, to be able to open a file in a new window, the tab must have been saved on the computer.
If the tab hasn't been saved, it is not possible to drag and drop it outside of the current window to open it in a new window. Make sure the file is saved beforehand.
It is possible to move the second window back in the first window by dragging and dropping the tabs from one window to another.
Notepad++ open file in new window animated GIF
- Use Notepad++ to Create a Clean Transcript with Text only
- Tux - The Linux Penguin Official Open Source Mascot
- 2018 Lenovo ThinkPad E580 Business Laptop - 15.6' Anti-Glare (1366x768), Intel Core i5-7200U, 500GB HDD, 4GB DDR4, Wi-Fi + BlueTooth, Webcam, FingerPrint Reader, Windows 10 Professional - Black
- Microsoft Surface Pro (Intel Core M, 4GB RAM, 128GB) – Newest Version
- Samsung SM-N950UZVAXAA Galaxy Note8 (US Version) Factory Unlocked Phone - 6.3' Screen - 64GB - Orchid Gray (U.S. Warranty)
- Scratch Programming Playground: Learn to Program by Making Cool Games
- Logitech M510 Wireless Computer Mouse
- AmazonBasics Classic Notebook - Ruled